Quick Italian Wedding Soup
Total TimePrep: 25 min. Cook: 35 min.
Makes10 servings (2-1/2 quarts)
- 10 cups chicken broth
- 2 bone-in chicken breast halves (8 ounces each), skin removed
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 1/4 cup dry bread crumbs
- 4 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese, divided
- 1-1/2 teaspoons Italian seasoning, divided
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1/2 cup uncooked orzo pasta
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 package (10 ounces) frozen chopped spinach, thawed and drained
- In a large saucepan, bring broth and chicken to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 15-20 minutes or until chicken is no longer pink. Remove the chicken and set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine the egg, bread crumbs, 2 tablespoons cheese and 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning. Crumble beef over mixture and mix well.
- Shape into 1-in. balls; add to broth. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 10 minutes or until meatballs are no longer pink. Skim fat.
- Add pasta, pepper and remaining Italian seasoning to soup. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 12-15 minutes or until pasta is tender. Remove chicken from bones; discard bones and shred meat. Add the chicken, spinach and remaining cheese to soup and heat through.
Nutrition Facts1-1/4 cups: 175 calories, 6g fat (3g saturated fat), 54mg cholesterol, 1056mg sodium, 12g carbohydrate (2g sugars, 1g fiber), 17g protein.
Dec 31, 2014
Easy and delicious! I've used leftover chicken rather than cooking the chicken breasts and added more vegetables to the recipe too-it never fails to please.
Dec 13, 2009
Very good and easy to make. I added shredded carrots for some additional color & vegetables.