Here's a quick and hearty soup that's a tried-and-true favorite with Sherri Perfett's family in Moon Township, Pennsylvania. "My husband and two preschoolers love the combination of chicken broth, seasoned meatballs and spinach," writes this busy flight attendant who's away from home three to four days a week. "And since it freezes so well, I often make extra to be sure I always have some on hand."
Recommended: 30 Soup Recipes Ready in 30 Minutes
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 10 cups chicken broth
- 2 bone-in chicken breast halves (8 ounces each), skin removed
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 1/4 cup dry bread crumbs
- 4 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese, divided
- 1-1/2 teaspoons Italian seasoning, divided
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1/2 cup uncooked orzo pasta
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 package (10 ounces) frozen chopped spinach, thawed and drained
- In a large saucepan, bring broth and chicken to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 15-20 minutes or until chicken juices run clear. Remove chicken; set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine the egg, bread crumbs, 2 tablespoons Parmesan cheese and 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning. Crumble beef over mixture and mix well. Shape into 1-in. balls; add to broth. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 10 minutes or until meatballs are no longer pink. Skim fat and discard.
- Remove chicken from bones; discard bones and shred meat. Add chicken, pasta, pepper and remaining Italian seasoning to soup. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 12-15 minutes or until pasta is tender. Add spinach and remaining Parmesan cheese; heat through. Yield: 8-10 servings.
Originally published as Italian Wedding Soup in Country Woman May/June 2005, p41
Reviews forQuick Italian Wedding Soup
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed Dec. 13, 2009
"Very good and easy to make. I added shredded carrots for some additional color & vegetables."