Quick Italian Sausage Sandwiches Recipe
- 2 Italian sausage links (4 ounces each)
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 small green pepper, cut into strips
- 1 small onion, halved and thinly sliced
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 cup spaghetti sauce
- 1/4 teaspoon dried basil
- 2 brat buns, split and toasted
- 2 tablespoons shredded Italian cheese blend
- 1. Place sausages and water in a large skillet; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 10 minutes. Uncover; cook 5-10 minutes longer or until meat is no longer pink; drain. Remove sausages and keep warm.
- 2. In the same skillet, saute pepper and onion in oil until tender. Return sausages to pan. Stir in spaghetti sauce and basil; heat through. Serve sausages on buns with sauce and cheese. Yield: 2 servings.
1 each: 552 calories, 28g fat (8g saturated fat), 50mg cholesterol, 1532mg sodium, 52g carbohydrate (16g sugars, 4g fiber), 24g protein.
Reviews for Quick Italian Sausage Sandwiches
"Browned the sausages on the grill and used th Classico spaghetti sauce as another person suggested. It was great!"
"Boiling the sausage took much of the flavor and made for grey and awful looking sausage?? I don't understand why they were boiled!"
"I have made this for years but use Dr. Pepper when I saute the onions and peppers and I also use a little seasoned salt. I use lots of onions and peppers. I also use the sweet Italian sausage. They like to heap them up on the sausage. easy and everyone always wants seconds.I will use this recipe Sunday or Monday."
"To make this for a crowd-partially grill the italian sausages on a gas grill until browned and grill marked, then place them in a roaster. Cover with raw green peppers, onion, fresh mushrooms, canned diced tomatoes with italian seasonings. Use as much as you want! Then cover all with spaghetti sauce. I always add a packet of dried spaghetti sauce to my liquid sauce to thicken it up. bake @ 325 for approx. 2 hours until sauce thickens and browns around the edges. WONDERFUL! Serve on italian buns with shredded mozzerella cheese! Can also be eaten with pasta! Best meal ever!"
"Haven't made this version, but we buy Oliverio pepper sauce here in Elkins, WV. It has the peppers, onions, tomato sauce, and spiced with sweet or hot. Faster and easier than homemade and very good."
"Really good & easy, but to make it even quicker, I add the pepper & onion in the first step with the water, after draining, I brown it all just a bit then add thes sauce and finish....YUM!"
"I make this all the time with stewed or diced tomatoes (including the juice) instead of spaghetti sauce. The sausage has plenty of spice already! YUM"
"Very simple and delicious! I used a variety of peppers for more color. Dry basil works fine, but I suggest using fresh basil if you have it. Adding cheese really makes it a stand out. Fantastic recipe!"
"Very good and very easy to make. I love peppers and onions but I did think there were too many. Also, do NOT slice the buns, you need them attached to hold all the 'stuff'. I bought Classico Tomato and Basil spaghetti sauce."