- 2/3 cup packed brown sugar
- 2/3 cup cider vinegar
- 2/3 cup ketchup
- 2 teaspoons reduced-sodium soy sauce
- 1 pound boneless pork loin, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 medium onion, cut into chunks
- 2 medium carrots, sliced
- 1 medium green pepper, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1 can (8 ounces) pineapple chunks, drained
- Hot cooked rice, optional
- In a small bowl, combine the brown sugar, vinegar, ketchup, and soy sauce. Pour half into a large resealable plastic bag; add pork. Seal bag and turn to coat; refrigerate for 30 minutes. Set remaining marinade aside.
- Drain and discard marinade from pork. In a large skillet, cook pork in oil over medium heat for 2-3 minutes on all sides or until meat is lightly browned; drain. Add the onion, carrots, green pepper, and ginger. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer.
- Cover and simmer for 6-8 minutes or until pork is tender. Add reserved marinade. Bring to a boil; cook for 1 minute or until heated through. Stir in pineapple. Serve with rice if desired. Yield: 4 servings.
Reviews forQuick Homemade Sweet-and-Sour Pork
"easy and flavorful. I will stick with apple cider vinegar and add a dash of hot pepper flake next time. Sauce was also a bit thin so I mixed into marinade 2 tsp of corn starch to thicken."
"Adjust the vinegar to 3 Tbsp. I used rice vinegar instead of apple cider vinegar. Be sure the brown sugar is packed."
"Too much vinegar for our taste."
"Excellent flavor! I added a shake or two of hot pepper flakes."
"Loved it, loved it...easy to make and great warmed up for a second meal."
"IS SO GOOD, MY HUSBAND AND I WE LOVE IT WE ARE GOING TO MAKE IT OVER AND OVER THANK YOU SO MUCH. MRS SANDRA E. SMITH"
"The sauce had a very heavy vinegar taste and was very thin."
"This was great but almost a little too vinegar-ie. :) I used chicken for the recipe that I tossed with some corn starch first. I microwaved my onion, peppers, and carrot in the microwave with a tblsp of water for about 5 minutes before i stirred them in to make them a little less crunchy. Otherwise, it was awesome. My son and hubby said to definately make again!"