- 2-1/2 cups water
- 1/2 cup butter or shortening
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 3 tablespoons instant potato flakes
- 2 packages (1/4 ounce each) quick-rise yeast
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 6 cups all-purpose flour or bread flour
- Vegetable oil
- Heat water and butter to 125°-130°. In a large mixing bowl, combine with remaining ingredients except oil to form a stiff batter. Place in a greased bowl; oil top of dough. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 30-45 minutes. Punch dough down. On a lightly floured surface, knead dough until smooth and elastic, about 4-6 minutes. Divide dough into three portions. Shape into loaves and place in greased 8-1/2-in. x 4-1/2-in. x 2-in. loaf pans; oil tops of loaves. Cover and let rise until doubled, about 30 minutes. Bake at 350° until bread sounds hollow when tapped, about 30-35 minutes. Remove from pans and cool on wire racks. Yield: 3 loaves.
Reviews forQuick Homemade Bread
"I made yeast rolls with this recipe and they were devoured. I will be making this bread again soon."
"The bread did not rise well for me, I will go back to my usual recipes. Taste was good though."