Quick Ginger-Orange Squash
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 25 min.
- 1 small butternut squash (about 2 pounds)
- 2 tablespoons thawed orange juice concentrate
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- Pierce squash several times with a knife or fork; place on a microwave-safe plate. Microwave on high for 3 minutes. Cut into quarters; remove seeds and pulp.
- Return squash to plate, cut side down. Cover with waxed paper; microwave on high for 4-1/2 minutes.
- Turn over; microwave on high for 4-6 minutes longer or until soft. Scoop out squash and place in a bowl. Stir in remaining ingredients.
Editor's NoteThis recipe was tested in a 1,100-watt microwave.
Nutrition Facts1 serving: 143 calories, 0 fat (0 saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 11mg sodium, 37g carbohydrate (16g sugars, 8g fiber), 3g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Nov 3, 2015
We both liked this side dish. Since there are only two of us, I used a package of frozen cooked winter squash, which I first thawed and heated in a saucepan on top of the stove. I added about 2 tablespoons of sweet orange marmalade instead of the oj concentrate (will reduce it to one next time), cut the rest of the ingredients in half, added a bit of salt and pepper, and let it simmer while I finished cooking the rest of the meal.
Feb 12, 2014
Yum ! Definitely a keeper ! I cut the squash into smaller pieces, turned the oven to 355 F. Spread out the small chunks in a 9 x 13 pan, sprinkled them with xylitol, pumpkin pie spice & grated ginger root. Then I poured a bit less than 1/4 cup of orange juice over the adorned squash and baked, covered, for 35 minutes, uncovered and continued baking for 25 minutes.