Quick Curried Pumpkin Soup
This soup is wonderfully warming on an autumn day. The subtle curry flavor enhances the pumpkin.
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 25 min.
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 teaspoon vegetable oil
- 2 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1-1/2 cups canned pumpkin
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon curry powder
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt-free seasoning blend
- Dash pepper
- 1/2 cup fat-free evaporated milk
- Minced fresh parsley
- In a saucepan over medium heat, saute onion in oil until tender. Add the broth, pumpkin, lemon juice, curry powder, sugar, salt if desired and pepper; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 15 minutes.
- Stir in milk; heat through. Garnish with parsley.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 98 calories, 2g fat (0 saturated fat), 2mg cholesterol, 611mg sodium, 16g carbohydrate (0 sugars, 3g fiber), 5g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1 starch, 1/2 vegetable.
Originally published as Curried Pumpkin Soup in Taste of Home's Down-Home Diabetic Cookbook Second Edition