Quick Crispy Green Bean Salad
Younger children might ask if the beans in this flavorful salad came from Jack’s magic beanstalk. The dish is an excellent addition to a party spread, whether as a side or an appetizer. Add the hot sauce to give it an extra kick. —Lily Julow, Lawrenceville, GA
Total TimePrep: 30 min. Cook: 5 min.
- 1-1/2 pounds fresh green beans, trimmed and halved
- 1/4 cup red wine vinegar
- 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 2 teaspoons honey
- 1 garlic clove
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 dash Worcestershire sauce
- 1/4 teaspoon Louisiana-style hot sauce, optional
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 cup thinly sliced red onion
- 1 medium sweet red pepper, thinly sliced
- 2 celery rib, thinly sliced
- 1 hard-cooked large egg, chopped
- In a 6-quart stockpot, bring 12 cups water to a boil. Add green beans; cook, uncovered, 2-3 minutes or just until beans turn bright green. Remove beans and immediately drop them into ice water. Drain and pat dry.
- In a large bowl, whisk vinegar, mustard, honey, garlic, salt, pepper, Worcestershire sauce and, if desired, hot sauce. Gradually whisk in oil until blended. Add vegetables and toss to coat; chill until serving. Sprinkle with chopped egg.