Quick Creamy Spinach
For a family-pleasing side dish, I rely on comforting recipe. My children started eating vegetables at an early age. This spinach recipe is one of their all-time favorites.—Rachel Greenawalt Keller, Roanoke, Virginia
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 25 min.
- 2 packages (10 ounces each) frozen chopped spinach
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 cups fat-free milk
- 1/2 cup shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- Prepare spinach according to package directions; drain and set aside.
- Meanwhile, in a saucepan, cook onion in oil until tender. Stir in the flour, salt and pepper until blended. Gradually stir in milk. Bring to a boil over medium heat; cook and stir for 1-2 minutes or until thickened. Stir in reserved spinach. Add cheese; stir until melted.
Nutrition Facts2/3 cup: 124 calories, 4g fat (1g saturated fat), 7mg cholesterol, 452mg sodium, 14g carbohydrate (6g sugars, 3g fiber), 9g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1 starch, 1 vegetable, 1/2 fat.
Originally published as Creamed Spinach in Light & Tasty April/May 2005