Quick Creamy Asparagus Soup
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 2 medium leeks (white portion only), sliced
- 12 green onions, chopped
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 2-1/2 pounds fresh asparagus, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 1 cup half-and-half cream
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- In a large saucepan, saute leeks and onions in oil and butter until tender. Add the asparagus and broth. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, until vegetables are tender. Remove from the heat. Set aside 1 cup of asparagus pieces.
- In a blender, process the remaining asparagus mixture in batches until smooth; return to the pan. Stir in the cream, salt and pepper. Cook over low heat until heated through. Garnish with reserved asparagus pieces.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 170 calories, 11g fat (5g saturated fat), 25mg cholesterol, 877mg sodium, 12g carbohydrate (6g sugars, 3g fiber), 6g protein.
Mar 12, 2018
After making cream of mushroom soup, my daughter asked me to make cream of asparagus. I chose this recipe because I liked the inclusion of leeks and green onions. The instructions were easy and the soup turned out good. However, I needed a little more of a kick to make it special for me. When serving I added some garlic salt and red pepper flakes. I will likely make this again, but I plan to saute garlic with the leeks and green onions, and I'll serve it with red pepper flakes again because I like it spicy.
Mar 3, 2018
Apr 17, 2012
Have not actually made yet, but I did a recipe similar to this and it is so delicious and healthy too!!!!!
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.