After trying several different recipes for asparagus soup, I put together the best ingredients from each for my favorite version. This soup is great year-round and adds an elegant touch to special-occasion meals. -Pat Stevens, Granbury, Texas
Recommended: 26 Ways to Eat Asparagus This Spring
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 2 medium leeks (white portion only), sliced
- 12 green onions, chopped
- 2 tablespoons olive or vegetable oil
- 1 tablespoon butter or margarine
- 2-1/2 pounds fresh asparagus, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 1 cup half-and-half cream
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- In a large saucepan, saute leeks and onions in oil and butter until tender. Add the asparagus and broth. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, until vegetables are tender. Remove from the heat. Set aside 1 cup of asparagus pieces.
- In a blender, process the remaining asparagus mixture in batches until smooth; return to the pan. Stir in the cream, salt and pepper. Cook over low heat until heated through. Garnish with reserved asparagus pieces. Yield: 6 servings.
Originally published as Creamy Asparagus Soup in Reminisce March/April 2003, p48
Reviews forQuick Creamy Asparagus Soup
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed Apr. 17, 2012
"Have not actually made yet, but I did a recipe similar to this and it is so delicious and healthy too!!!!!"