- 2 medium leeks (white portion only), sliced
- 12 green onions, chopped
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 2-1/2 pounds fresh asparagus, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 1 cup half-and-half cream
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- In a large saucepan, saute leeks and onions in oil and butter until tender. Add the asparagus and broth. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, until vegetables are tender. Remove from the heat. Set aside 1 cup of asparagus pieces.
- In a blender, process the remaining asparagus mixture in batches until smooth; return to the pan. Stir in the cream, salt and pepper. Cook over low heat until heated through. Garnish with reserved asparagus pieces. Yield: 6 servings.
Reviews forQuick Creamy Asparagus Soup
"After making cream of mushroom soup, my daughter asked me to make cream of asparagus. I chose this recipe because I liked the inclusion of leeks and green onions. The instructions were easy and the soup turned out good. However, I needed a little more of a kick to make it special for me. When serving I added some garlic salt and red pepper flakes. I will likely make this again, but I plan to saute garlic with the leeks and green onions, and I'll serve it with red pepper flakes again because I like it spicy."
"Have not actually made yet, but I did a recipe similar to this and it is so delicious and healthy too!!!!!"