Quick Cream of Vegetable Soup
Creamy veggie soup is the specialty of Tina Dierking in Skowhegen, Maine. "A dash of Worcestershire sauce helps warm up the flavors and adds a bit of zip," she relates.
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 1/3 cup cooked broccoli florets, divided
- 1/3 cup cooked cauliflowerets, divided
- 1/3 cup chopped cooked carrots, divided
- 3/4 cup chicken broth
- 3 tablespoons finely chopped onion
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/8 teaspoon dill weed
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup half-and-half cream
- 1/8 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce, optional
- Reserve 2 tablespoons each of broccoli, cauliflower and carrots; chop and set aside. In a blender, combine the chicken broth and remaining broccoli, cauliflower and carrots. Puree until smooth. In a saucepan, saute onion in butter until tender. Stir in the flour, salt, basil, thyme, dill weed and pepper until blended. Gradually whisk in cream.
- Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 1-2 minutes or until thickened. Stir in chicken broth mixture; heat through. Stir in chopped broccoli, cauliflower and carrots and Worcestershire sauce if desired; heat through.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 318 calories, 24g fat (15g saturated fat), 91mg cholesterol, 1131mg sodium, 15g carbohydrate (7g sugars, 2g fiber), 7g protein.
Originally published as Cream of Vegetable Soup in Country Woman January/February 2004