Quick Cream of Tomato Soup
Total TimePrep: 30 min. + cooling Cook: 5 min.
Makes3 servings. (3-1/2 cups)
- 2-1/2 cups diced peeled tomatoes
- 1/4 cup diced celery
- 1/4 cup diced onion
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 cup evaporated milk
- 1 teaspoon salt, optional
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 3 tablespoons sour cream
- 3 teaspoons minced fresh parsley
- In a saucepan, combine tomatoes, celery and onion; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 15 minutes, stirring often. Cool for 10 minutes; pour into a blender. Cover and process until smooth.
- In a large saucepan, heat oil; stir in flour until smooth. Gradually add milk; bring to a boil. Cook and stir for 2 minutes. Gradually stir in tomato mixture. Add salt if desired and pepper; heat through. Top individual servings with sour cream and parsley.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 164 calories, 5g fat (0 saturated fat), 3mg cholesterol, 121mg sodium, 22g carbohydrate (0 sugars, 0 fiber), 9g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1-1/2 vegetable, 1 starch, 1 fat.
Nov 9, 2012
When I first looked at the photograph, I thought the color was off. But after making this soup I found it really is rather pink! If I make this again, I would need to cook it longer because even after processing, the celery remains a little crunchy at the end of each bite. I'm heading back to the kitchen now to add some spices to the soup.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.