- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1/2 pound sliced fresh mushrooms
- 1/4 cup chopped onion
- 6 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 2 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) chicken broth
- 1 cup half-and-half cream
- In a large saucepan, heat butter over medium-high heat; saute mushrooms and onion until tender.
- Mix flour, salt, pepper and one can broth until smooth; stir into mushroom mixture. Stir in remaining broth. Bring to a boil; cook and stir until thickened, about 2 minutes. Reduce heat; stir in cream. Simmer, uncovered, until flavors are blended, about 15 minutes, stirring occasionally. Yield: 6 servings.
Reviews forQuick Cream of Mushroom Soup
"Delicious! I had about a pound of baby bella mushrooms that I needed to use up and happened to come accross this recipe- made a double batch. I was out of chicken broth so I used vegetable broth. Used fat free half and half because that's what I had on hand."
"quick is right. quick and Tasty is even better. I used White Button Mushrooms and Baby Bella Mushrooms. I used Evaporated milk and Cornstartch instead of the flour. Making it slightly healthier. I also used it not only as a soup but after tasting the rich earthiness I decided to use it as a sauce/gravy. My choice for this test. Salisbury Steaks. It could not have been more perfect. One more Taste Of Home Winner fort he New Year.Volunteer Taste of Home Field Editor."
"Great and easy recipe! I made it just like the recipe the first time. I made just two little changes the second time I cooked it -- I took half the mushrooms out and pureed the other half in the soup with my immersion blender, then returned the rest to the pot. That helped thicken the soup a lot. It also made it a little creamier when I used heavy cream instead of half and half."
"Normally I make a new recipe as written, but I had sooooo many mushrooms and onions!!! Doubled the butter, mushrooms and onion and left the remaining ingredients as is. OMStars, I love this so very much<3 ...I thought I'd have to get my immersion blender going, but nope! Perfect."
"Excellent. How would you double this soup?"
"I loved this recipe, it was perfect, although, I did add a little minced garlic. This is a keeper!"
"Definitely add some thyme to the onion./ mushroom while sauteing, stir in a bit of sherry, and then the flour before the broth.. (no flour needed if blending all in a food processor), ...no salt if using salted butter and salted chicken broth"
"Great recipe. I Almost ate the whole thing myself."