Quick Cranberry Scones
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup shortening
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 2/3 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1/3 cup dried cranberries or dried currants
- In a large bowl, combine the flour, sugar, baking powder and salt. Cut in shortening until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Combine egg and cream ; stir into crumb mixture just until blended. Stir in cranberries. Turn onto a floured surface; knead gently four times.
- Shape dough into a ball; place on an ungreased baking sheet. Pat until an 8-in. circle. With a sharp knife, score the dough into eight wedges (do not separate).
- Bake at 425° for 15-20 minutes or until golden brown. Break into wedges. Serve warm.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 329 calories, 20g fat (8g saturated fat), 54mg cholesterol, 190mg sodium, 32g carbohydrate (7g sugars, 1g fiber), 4g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Sep 15, 2014
The best cranberry scones! A local coffee shop used to have scones that were good, but these are far superior. Thank you for sharing recipe. I,too, am an Angophile, and these are great with a cup of tea.