Quick Colorful Bean Salad
"I can't remember where I found the recipe for this cold bean salad, but it's become one of my favorites," shares Valerie Harmsworth of Orillia, Ontario. "A squeeze of fresh lime juice when serving really adds to the flavor."
Total TimePrep: 30 min. + chilling
- 1 can (15 ounces) black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (15 ounces) garbanzo beans or chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 1 cup fresh or frozen corn, thawed
- 1 medium green pepper, chopped
- 1 medium sweet red pepper, chopped
- 1/2 cup chopped red onion
- 1 jalapeno pepper, seeded and chopped
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 1-1/2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1-1/2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
- In a large bowl, combine the black beans, garbanzo beans, corn, green pepper, red pepper, red onion and jalapeno pepper. In a small bowl, whisk together the oil, vinegars, cumin, chili powder, sugar and oregano. Pour over bean mixture; toss to coat. Cover and refrigerate for at least 1 hour. Just before serving, sprinkle with lime juice.
Editor's NoteWear disposable gloves when cutting hot peppers; the oils can burn skin. Avoid touching your face.
Nutrition Facts3/4 cup: 161 calories, 5g fat (0 saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 177mg sodium, 25g carbohydrate (0 sugars, 6g fiber), 6g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1-1/2 starch, 1 vegetable, 1/2 fat.
Originally published as Colorful Bean Salad in Light & Tasty August/September 2004
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.