Quick Coconut Oat Cookies
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Bake: 10 min./batch
- 1/2 cup shortening
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 1/2 teaspoon coconut extract
- 1 cup quick-cooking oats
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 package (3.4 ounces) instant vanilla pudding mix
- 1/2 cup sweetened shredded coconut
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- In a large bowl, cream shortening and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in the egg and extract. Combine the remaining ingredients; gradually add to the creamed mixture and mix well.
- Roll into 1-in. balls. Place on greased baking sheets. Flatten with a fork. Bake at 350° for 10-12 minutes or until edges begin to brown. Remove to wire racks to cool.
Every product is independently selected by our editors. If you buy something through our links, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Jan 31, 2016
This is a great cookie to add to any dessert plate! It is easy to put together and has an wonderful coconut flavor but not overpowering. I took the suggestion of others and added a 1/3 c of chopped pecans. It reminded us of pecan sandies! As a volunteer food editor for Taste of Home I enjoy recipes that are predictably good!
Aug 20, 2011
Great cookies! The pudding mix gives a subtle but delicious taste, almost like Keebler's pecan sandies. I may add some finely chopped pecans the next time I make them, and I'd like to experiment with other flavors of pudding as well. Another great feature is that they don't make a huge amount.....good for smaller families like ours.