Quick Chicken Rice Soup
"I combined three recipes to come up with this take on the classic creamy chicken rice soup," says Marge Wagner from Roselle, Illinois. "I cut down on the butter, increased the vegetables and eliminated the half-and-half cream. This lower-fat version is truly delicious...and no one can tell it's light!"
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 1/2 cup chopped carrot
- 1/3 cup finely chopped onion
- 1/3 cup chopped celery
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 2 cups cooked long grain rice
- 1 cup cubed cooked chicken
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 cup 2% milk
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon white wine, optional
- In a large saucepan, saute the carrot, onion and celery in butter until tender. Stir in flour until blended. Gradually stir in broth. Add the rice, chicken, salt, pepper and garlic powder; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 10-15 minutes or until vegetables are tender.
- Reduce heat to low. Stir in the milk, lemon juice and wine if desired. Cook and stir for 5 minutes or until heated through.