Quick Chicken and Dumplings
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 30 min.
Makes6 servings (2-1/4 quarts)
- 6 individually frozen biscuits
- 1/4 cup chopped onion
- 1/4 cup chopped green pepper
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 4 cups shredded rotisserie chicken
- 3 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1 can (4 ounces) mushroom stems and pieces, drained
- 1 teaspoon chicken bouillon granules
- 1 teaspoon minced fresh parsley
- 1/2 teaspoon dried sage leaves
- 1/4 teaspoon dried rosemary, crushed
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- Cut each biscuit into fourths; set aside. In a large saucepan, saute onion and green pepper in oil until tender. Stir in the chicken, broth, mushrooms, bouillon granules, parsley, sage, rosemary and pepper.
- Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; add biscuits for dumplings. Cover and simmer (do not lift cover while simmering) 10 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center of a dumpling comes out clean.
Nutrition Facts1-1/2 cups: 420 calories, 20g fat (5g saturated fat), 83mg cholesterol, 1443mg sodium, 26g carbohydrate (6g sugars, 1g fiber), 34g protein.
May 30, 2020
I have not tried this, though it looks great. But as a copy cat for Cracker Barrell, not even close. The dumplings at Cracker Barrell are the flat dumplings.
Mar 20, 2020
I live this recipe! I tweak it a little to my family’s taste and they thoroughly enjoy it!!!
Feb 27, 2020
Do you use frozen biscuits and cut them into quarters?
Nov 17, 2019
I would give it fewer stars if I could. This was so bland looking and tasting that we threw out the leftovers.
Oct 30, 2019
FYI caution that if cooked chicken is added and cooked more-it toughens. Except for this recipe, best to stir chicken in before serving if possible.
Oct 30, 2019
I prefer to make my dumplings using Bisquick. Fast, light
Oct 7, 2019
Wow... Just made this for dinner and it has become an instant family favorite. I made one change: I added 1 extra teaspoon of bouillon. Besides that, the recipe is perfect as is!
Mar 11, 2019
These are nothing like the chicken and dumplings at Cracker Barrel They would never used biscuits for dumplings. Their dumplines are hand made as I do mine.
Oct 29, 2018
Delicious! I tweaked it quite a bit though. I finely diced the mushrooms and added finely diced carrots to the peppers and onions. I also used dried parsley (1/2 tsp), 1/2 tsp thyme (crushed further in a mortar) and 1 tsp poultry seasoning. NOTE: I used 4 XL refrigerated biscuits cut into 8 pieces. In the future, I would either make spaetzle-like dumplings from scratch, use a smaller refrigerator biscuit (still cut into 8) OR 2-3 XL biscuits but cut even smaller. These expanded a lot (too much for our tastes).
Feb 7, 2018
Very good as well as being very quick and easy. I used leftover baked chicken I had frozen and a can of jumbo biscuits rather than the frozen ones and left out the mushrooms because I didn't have any. Great flavor and real comfort food on a cold winter night.