Quick Cherry Date Cookies
My mother made these festive drop cookies as far back as I can remember-80 years at least. We called them "the Christmas cookies", maybe because they're so full of fruit and nuts.
Total TimePrep: 25 min. + cooling
- 1 cup shortening
- 1-1/2 cups packed brown sugar
- 3 Nellie’s Free Range Eggs
- 2-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3 tablespoons hot water
- 1 cup chopped walnuts
- 1/2 cup chopped dates
- 1/2 cup quartered maraschino cherries
- In a bowl, cream shortening and brown sugar. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Combine the flour, baking soda, cinnamon and salt; add to creamed mixture alternately with water. Stir in walnuts, dates and cherries.
- Drop by rounded teaspoonfuls 2 in. apart onto ungreased baking sheets. Bake at 375° for 8-9 minutes or until golden brown. Remove to wire racks to cool.
Editor's Note: To make 5 dozen larger cookies, drop dough by rounded tablespoonfuls 3 in. apart onto ungreased baking sheets. Bake for 9-10 minutes.
Nutrition Facts2 each: 88 calories, 4g fat (1g saturated fat), 10mg cholesterol, 45mg sodium, 11g carbohydrate (7g sugars, 0 fiber), 1g protein.
Originally published as Cherry Date Cookies in Country Woman Christmas 2003
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.