Quick Bran Muffins
When my twin sister and I were in high school, these muffins were a staple in our home. I've made a few adjustments to the recipe, but it remains a winner.
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Bake: 20 min.
- 1-1/2 cups old-fashioned oats
- 1 cup All-Bran
- 1/4 cup toasted wheat germ
- 1 cup boiling water
- 2-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 2-1/2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 2 cups buttermilk
- 1/2 cup butter, melted
- Place oats and cereal in a bowl; cover with boiling water. Let stand for 5 minutes. In a large bowl, combine the flour, sugars, baking soda, and salt. In another bowl, combine the eggs, buttermilk, butter and oat mixture. Stir into dry ingredients just until moistened.
- Fill greased muffin cups two-thirds full. Bake at 375° for 18-20 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean. Cool for 5 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks. Serve warm.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 158 calories, 5g fat (3g saturated fat), 29mg cholesterol, 254mg sodium, 25g carbohydrate (10g sugars, 2g fiber), 4g protein.
Aug 17, 2010
I made these for the first time today. They are really good. I added some raisins to them. I work in a retirement home & the residents loved them, so did I . So moist & tender. A real winner.....