Quick Bran Muffins
When my twin sister and I were in high school, these muffins were a staple in our home. I've made a few adjustments to the recipe, but it remains a winner.
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Bake: 20 min.
- 1-1/2 cups old-fashioned oats
- 1 cup All-Bran
- 1/4 cup toasted wheat germ
- 1 cup boiling water
- 2-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 2-1/2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 2 cups buttermilk
- 1/2 cup butter, melted
- Place oats and cereal in a bowl; cover with boiling water. Let stand for 5 minutes. In a large bowl, combine the flour, sugars, baking soda, and salt. In another bowl, combine the eggs, buttermilk, butter and oat mixture. Stir into dry ingredients just until moistened.
- Fill greased muffin cups two-thirds full. Bake at 375° for 18-20 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean. Cool for 5 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks. Serve warm.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 158 calories, 5g fat (3g saturated fat), 29mg cholesterol, 254mg sodium, 25g carbohydrate (10g sugars, 2g fiber), 4g protein.
Originally published as Best Bran Muffins in Best of Country Breads
Aug 17, 2010
I made these for the first time today. They are really good. I added some raisins to them. I work in a retirement home & the residents loved them, so did I . So moist & tender. A real winner.....