Quick Black Bean Soup
"My mother is a native of Cuba and cooks the best black bean soup anywhere, but her recipe is complicated and takes 2 days to complete. I came up with this faster version, and I think the results are excellent!" writes Ileana Sisson from Osteen, Florida.
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 2 cans (15 ounces each) black beans, rinsed and drained and divided
- 1-1/2 cups water
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1 medium green pepper, sliced
- 1/2 small onion, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 teaspoons red wine or additional chicken broth
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon paprika
- 1 bay leaf
- In a small bowl, mash 1 can black beans until smooth; set aside. In a large saucepan, combine the remaining ingredients and remaining can of beans. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, covered, for 10-15 minutes. Add mashed beans, stirring to combine. Discard bay leaf before serving.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 257 calories, 7g fat (1g saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 876mg sodium, 36g carbohydrate (0 sugars, 10g fiber), 12g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 starch, 1 lean meat, 1 fat.
Nov 29, 2012
My husband doesn't care for black beans but he just loves this soup! Its wonderful combination of spices make it so tasty. I make this recipe often and enjoy it with cornbread.