"My mother is a native of Cuba and cooks the best black bean soup anywhere, but her recipe is complicated and takes 2 days to complete. I came up with this faster version, and I think the results are excellent!" writes Ileana Sisson from Osteen, Florida.
Recommended: 39 Quick Vegetarian Meals for Winter Weeknights
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 2 cans (15 ounces each) black beans, rinsed and drained and divided
- 1-1/2 cups water
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1 medium green pepper, sliced
- 1/2 small onion, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 teaspoons red wine or additional chicken broth
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon paprika
- 1 bay leaf
- In a small bowl, mash 1 can black beans until smooth; set aside. In a large saucepan, combine the remaining ingredients and remaining can of beans. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, covered, for 10-15 minutes. Add mashed beans, stirring to combine. Discard bay leaf before serving. Yield: 4 servings.
Originally published as Quick Black Bean Soup in Light & Tasty August/September 2004, p58
Reviews forQuick Black Bean Soup
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed Nov. 29, 2012
"My husband doesn't care for black beans but he just loves this soup! Its wonderful combination of spices make it so tasty. I make this recipe often and enjoy it with cornbread."