Quick Black Bean and Corn Salad
This recipe is a favorite with my husband and five boys, all hearty eaters. It's filling, economical and, best of all, easy to prepare. I spend many afternoons driving our sons back and forth to their wrestling and band practices, piano lessons, Boy Scout meetings and church activities.
Total TimePrep: 10 min. + chilling
- 1 can (15 ounces) black beans, rinsed and drained
- 4 ounces Monterey Jack cheese, cut into 1/4-inch cubes
- 1 can (8-3/4 ounces) whole kernel corn, drained
- 1/4 cup sliced green onions with tops
- 3/4 cup thinly sliced celery
- 1 small sweet red pepper, diced
- 3/4 cup picante sauce
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1/2 to 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- Combine all ingredients in a large bowl; mix well. Cover and chill several hours or overnight.
Nutrition Facts3/4 cup: 164 calories, 8g fat (3g saturated fat), 15mg cholesterol, 373mg sodium, 15g carbohydrate (3g sugars, 3g fiber), 6g protein.
Originally published as Black Bean and Corn Salad in Country Extra September 1993