Cooking outdoors is a great way to make dinner when time is tight. While the grill is heating up, you can quickly simmer the sauce. To prevent the sauce from burning while grilling, only brush it on during the last few minutes.
Recommended: 15 Homemade BBQ Sauce Recipes
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 1 cup ketchup
- 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar or cider vinegar
- 2 teaspoons soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon dried minced onion
- 1/4 teaspoon celery seed
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes, optional
- Dash liquid smoke, optional
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breast halves (about 1-1/4 pounds)
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- In a saucepan, combine the ketchup, brown sugar, vinegar, soy sauce, onion, celery seed, 1/4 teaspoon salt, pepper flakes and liquid smoke if desired. Cook and stir over low heat for 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, rub chicken with oil and sprinkle with remaining salt. Grill, covered, over medium heat for 3 minutes on each side. Set aside 1/2 cup barbecue sauce for serving. Brush half of the remaining sauce over chicken. Grill 4-6 minutes longer or until chicken juices run clear, turning and basting occasionally with sauce. Serve with reserved sauce. Yield: 4 servings.
Originally published as Quick Barbecued Chicken in Taste of Home Meals in Minutes Calendar Annual 2002, p5