Guests are always impressed when I ignite the rum in this delicious dessert. Use perfectly ripe bananas for best results. —Mary Lou Wayman, Salt Lake City, Utah
Recommended: 35 Recipes that Use Up Ripe Bananas
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 1/3 cup butter, cubed
- 3/4 cup packed dark brown sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 3 medium bananas
- 2 tablespoons creme de cacao or banana liqueur
- 1/4 cup dark rum
- 2 cups vanilla ice cream
- In a large skillet or flambé pan, melt butter over medium-low heat. Stir in brown sugar and cinnamon until combined. Cut each banana lengthwise and then widthwise into quarters; add to butter mixture. Cook, stirring gently, for 3-5 minutes or until glazed and slightly softened. Stir in creme de cacao; heat through.
- In a small saucepan, heat rum over low heat until vapors form on surface. Carefully ignite rum and slowly pour over bananas, coating evenly.
- Leaving skillet or pan on the cooking surface, gently shake pan back and forth until flames are completely extinguished.
- Spoon ice cream into fluted glasses; top with bananas and sauce. Serve immediately. Yield: 4 servings.
Originally published as Bananas Foster in Taste of Home's Holiday & Celebrations Cookbook Annual 2007, p193
Reviews forQuick Bananas Foster
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed Feb. 8, 2012
"Delicious I love Bananas and this was excellent"