Quick Anise Fruit Bowl
This refreshing medley has become a family favorite for breakfast and brunch. You could even serve the fruit with a slice of cake and dollop of whipped cream for a scrumptious dessert.
Total TimePrep: 25 min. + chilling
Makes18 servings (3/4 cup)
- 2 cups water
- 1-1/2 cups sugar
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons aniseed
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 fresh pineapple, peeled and cubed
- 1 small cantaloupe, peeled, seeded and cubed
- 1/2 pound seedless red grapes
- 2 large bananas, sliced
- 2 medium nectarines, sliced
- 2 medium oranges, peeled and sectioned
- 2 medium kiwifruit, peeled and sliced
- 1 large pink grapefruit, peeled and sectioned
- In a large saucepan, bring the water, sugar, lemon juice, aniseed and salt to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer for 10-15 minutes or until slightly thickened. Cool slightly; cover and refrigerate until chilled.
- In a large bowl, combine the remaining ingredients. Pour syrup over fruit; toss to coat. Refrigerate until serving. Serve with a slotted spoon.
Nutrition Facts3/4 cup: 151 calories, 1g fat (0 saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 69mg sodium, 38g carbohydrate (33g sugars, 2g fiber), 1g protein.
Originally published as Sacramento Fruit Bowl in Country Woman Christmas 2009
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.