Quick and Easy Vegetable Pot Pie
This meatless Monday superstar comes together quickly and is inexpensive as well. My 4-year-old always asks for seconds! You can substitute any canned or frozen beans for the canned lentils in this easy vegetable pot pie. We also like using frozen edamame. —Maggie Torsney-Weir, Los Angeles, California
Total TimePrep: 30 min. Bake: 30 min.
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 3 cups frozen mixed vegetables, thawed
- 1 can (15 ounces) lentils, drained
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 cup vegetable or chicken broth
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1 teaspoon add new ingredient quatre épices (French four spice)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 sheet refrigerated pie crust
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- Preheat oven to 375°. In a large skillet, melt butter over medium heat. Add vegetables and lentils; cook and stir until heated through, 3-5 minutes. Stir in flour until blended; gradually whisk in broth. Bring to a boil, stirring constantly; cook and stir until thickened, 1-2 minutes. Stir in mustard, French Four spice and salt.
- Transfer to a greased 9-in. pie plate. Place pie crust over filling. Trim; cut slits in top. Brush with oil; sprinkle with Parmesan. Bake until golden brown, 30-35 minutes. Cool 5 minutes before serving.
Test Kitchen tips