Quick & Easy Gumdrops Recipe
- 3 envelopes unflavored gelatin
- 1/2 cup plus 3/4 cup water, divided
- 1-1/2 cups sugar
- 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon raspberry extract
- Red food coloring
- Additional sugar
- 1. In a small bowl, sprinkle gelatin over 1/2 cup water; let stand 5 minutes. In a small saucepan, bring sugar and remaining water to a boil over medium heat, stirring constantly. Add gelatin; reduce heat. Simmer 5 minutes, stirring frequently. Remove from heat; stir in extract and food coloring as desired.
- 2. Pour into a greased 8-in. square pan. Refrigerate, covered, 3 hours or until firm.
- 3. Loosen edges of candy from pan with a knife; turn onto a sugared work surface. Cut into 1-in squares; roll in sugar. Let stand, uncovered, at room temperature 3-4 hours or until all sides are dry, turning every hour. Store between layers of waxed paper in an airtight container in the refrigerator. Yield: 1 pound (64 pieces).
Editor's Note: For lemon gumdrops, use lemon extract and yellow food coloring. For orange gumdrops, use orange extract, yellow food coloring and a drop of red food coloring.
1 piece (calculated without additional sugar): 19 calories, 0 fat (0 saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 1mg sodium, 5g carbohydrate (5g sugars, 0 fiber), 0 protein.
Reviews for Quick & Easy Gumdrops
"Great recipe. I used lemon as it's my kids favorite flavor."
"I made them exactly as the recipe suggested and they were awesome, but I think next time I want to try cinnamon flavoring to take it up to the next level :-)"
"These were easy to make and had a great taste. I used strawberry extract. I did leave them out over night to dry. My daughter loved them!"