Quiche Lorraine Recipe
- 2 cups sifted unbleached or bleached all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup butter-flavored shortening
- 3 to 4 tablespoons cold water
- 12 bacon strips, cooked and crumbled
- 4 eggs
- 2 cups light cream
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1-1/4 cups shredded Swiss cheese
- 1. Combine flour and salt in a mixing bowl. Cut in shortening with a pastry blender until mixture resembles peas. Add water, a little at a time, until dough comes away from the bowl. Form dough into a ball. Divide in half. On a lightly floured surface, roll half of dough to fit a 9-in. pie plate; transfer to pie plate. Trim and flute edges. Chill. Wrap remaining dough; chill or freeze for another use. For filling, sprinkle crumbled bacon into the chilled pie crust. In a bowl, beat eggs, cream, salt and nutmeg. Stir in cheese. Pour into crust. Bake at 425° for 15 minutes. Reduce temperature to 325°; continue to bake for 30 to 40 minutes or until a knife inserted near the center comes out clean. Let stand 10 minutes before cutting. Yield: 6 servings.
1 piece: 618 calories, 44g fat (18g saturated fat), 71mg cholesterol, 596mg sodium, 32g carbohydrate (4g sugars, 1g fiber), 17g protein.
Reviews for Quiche Lorraine
"I prebaked my crust & this came our beautifully. I did cut back on the amount of bacon but it still was full of flavor & enjoyed by my whole family."
"Modify w/Canned Evaporated Milk for 1/2&1/2 Cream.) Salt.Less Bacon~Centre Cut is 70 mgs.per slice.on Salt.Less Swiss lowers numbers too.2 Eggs&equilvalant of Egg Whites for other Two.Crust doesn't require Salt.always in Other Food items.It still comes out Delicious!"
"I wish I'd pre-baked the crust a few minutes before adding the filling -- the bottom was soggy. I used red pepper flakes instead of nutmeg."
"I've not made the crust portion of this recipe opting to use pre-made pie crusts but the filling is excellent. I prefer to use ham instead of bacon."
"a great recipe as is, but also a perfect base for using up any leftover veggies or whatever-we have this quiche every couple of weeks"
"Excellent! We love this recipe. I double the recipe and pour it into a greased 9" x 13" glass dish without the crust and serve it for Sunday Brunch. I also use Real Bacon bits 6 oz. instead of cooking bacon. Tastes great!!"
"I put all kinds of things in my quiche like ham ,sausage brocolie, spinach,or tomatoes and I always use the quiche lorraine recipe."
"hi can i change the bacon to ham."