VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 1 unbaked pastry shell (10 inches)
- 1/2 cup sliced pepperoni, halved
- 3 tablespoons chopped green pepper
- 2 tablespoons chopped onion
- 1 jar (4-1/2 ounces) sliced mushrooms, drained
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon fennel seed, crushed
- 1-1/4 cups shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- 3 eggs
- 1-1/2 cups half-and-half cream
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1 medium tomato, cut into wedges
- Line pie plate with pastry. Trim edges and flute. Do not prick shell. Weight shell with dried beans or metal pie weights to prevent bubbles. Bake at 400° for 5-7 minutes. Remove from oven. Remove weights; set aside.
- In a small skillet, cook the pepperoni, green pepper, onion and mushrooms in butter until tender. Stir in oregano and fennel seeds. In pastry, layer 1 cup mozzarella cheese; top with pepperoni mixture. In medium bowl, whisk the eggs, cream, salt and pepper. Pour into pastry shell.
- Bake at 375° for 25-30 minutes or until knife inserted in the center comes out clean. Garnish with tomato wedges. Sprinkle with remaining mozzarella cheese. Bake 2 minutes longer or until cheese is melted. Let stand for 5 minutes before serving. Yield: 4-6 servings.
Originally published as Quiche Italiano in Country Woman March/April 1989, p29
Reviews forQuiche Italiano
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed Jul. 17, 2012