Total TimePrep: 30 min. Bake: 30 min.
- 1 unbaked pastry shell (10 inches)
- 1/2 cup sliced pepperoni, halved
- 3 tablespoons chopped green pepper
- 2 tablespoons chopped onion
- 1 jar (4-1/2 ounces) sliced mushrooms, drained
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon fennel seed, crushed
- 1-1/4 cups shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- 3 large eggs
- 1-1/2 cups half-and-half cream
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1 medium tomato, cut into wedges
- Line pie plate with pastry. Trim edges and flute. Do not prick shell. Weight shell with dried beans or metal pie weights to prevent bubbles. Bake at 400° for 5-7 minutes. Remove from oven. Remove weights; set aside.
- In a small skillet, cook the pepperoni, green pepper, onion and mushrooms in butter until tender. Stir in oregano and fennel seeds. In pastry, layer 1 cup mozzarella cheese; top with pepperoni mixture. In medium bowl, whisk the eggs, cream, salt and pepper. Pour into pastry shell.
- Bake at 375° for 25-30 minutes or until knife inserted in the center comes out clean. Garnish with tomato wedges. Sprinkle with remaining mozzarella cheese. Bake 2 minutes longer or until cheese is melted. Let stand for 5 minutes before serving.
Nutrition Facts1 piece: 428 calories, 30g fat (15g saturated fat), 176mg cholesterol, 768mg sodium, 23g carbohydrate (5g sugars, 1g fiber), 14g protein.
Jul 17, 2012
Made this for lunch today just great. The pepperoni and fennel add a lot of flavor. Cooking the pepperoni first makes it less greasy when baking too. Best made in a shallow pie plate as the custard mixture doesn't fill a deeper dish. Definitely would make again nice change from the usual quiches.