"This golden quail is so moist and tender," remarks Joelann Sygo of Gaylord, Michigan. "The rich cream sauce, dotted with onions and mushrooms, complements the bird nicely."
Recommended: 40 Super Easy 5-Ingredient Appetizers
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 2 cups sliced fresh mushrooms
- 1 small onion, sliced
- 4 tablespoons butter or margarine, divided
- 1 pound boneless quail breasts or boneless skinless chicken breast halves
- 1 package (3 ounces) cream cheese, softened
- 1/4 to 1/2 cup milk
- 1/2 cup dry bread crumbs, toasted
- In a skillet, saute mushrooms and onion in 2 tablespoons butter. Remove and set aside. In the same skillet, melt remaining butter; saute quail over medium heat for 8 minute on each side.
- Meanwhile, in a small saucepan, heat and stir cream cheese and milk over low heat until smooth. Stir in sauteed mushrooms and onion. Sprinkle bread crumbs over both sides of quail; serve with mushroom sauce. Yield: 4 servings.
Originally published as Quail with Mushroom Sauce in Taste of Home April/May 2001, p60