Quail in Mushroom Gravy Recipe
We live in an area with many Southern plantations, and quail are abundant. I cook this tasty dish with rich mushroom gravy often when my two boys are home. They think it makes a great meal. -Jean Williams, Hurtsboro, Alabama
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour, divided
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 6 quail (1/3 to 1/2 pound each)
- 1/2 cup butter or margarine
- 1/2 pound fresh mushrooms, sliced
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 2 teaspoons minced fresh thyme or 3/4 teaspoon dried thyme
- Hot cooked noodles, optional
- 1. Combine 1/2 cup flour, salt and pepper; coat each quail. Melt butter in skillet; brown the quail. Transfer to an ungreased 2-1/2-qt. baking dish. In the pan drippings, saute the mushrooms until tender. Add remaining flour and stir to make a smooth paste. Add broth and thyme, stirring constantly. Bring to a boil; boil for 1 minute or until thickened. Pour over the quail. Cover and bake at 350° for 40-50 minutes or until tender and juices run clear. Serve over noodles if desired. Yield: 6 servings.
1 each: 249 calories, 18g fat (10g saturated fat), 58mg cholesterol, 871mg sodium, 14g carbohydrate (1g sugars, 1g fiber), 8g protein.
Reviews for Quail in Mushroom Gravy
© 2017 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC