Puttanesca Meatball Sliders Recipe
Their just-right size and spice set these tender meatballs apart from others you may have tried. Placed on soft dinner rolls and topped with a zesty sauce, these unique sliders quickly win over a crowd. —Amy Coeler, Lemoore, California
- 1 can (28 ounces) whole tomatoes, undrained
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1/2 teaspoon fennel seed, crushed
- 1 tablespoon chopped capers
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup shredded Parmesan cheese, divided
- 1/2 cup panko (Japanese) bread crumbs
- 1/4 cup 2% milk
- 1 egg, beaten
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh parsley
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 pound lean ground beef (90% lean)
- 1/2 pound ground pork
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 15 dinner rolls
- 1. Place tomatoes in a food processor; cover and process until pureed. Set aside. In a large skillet, saute onion in oil until tender. Add the garlic, pepper flakes and fennel; cook 2 minutes longer. Stir in the tomatoes, capers, salt and pepper. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer for 15-20 minutes or until thickened, stirring occasionally.
- 2. Meanwhile, in a large bowl, combine 1/2 cup cheese, bread crumbs, milk, egg, parsley, garlic, pepper and salt. Crumble meat over mixture and mix well. Shape into fifteen 1-1/2-in. balls.
- 3. In a large skillet, brown meatballs in oil; drain. Transfer meatballs to sauce; simmer, uncovered, for 15-20 minutes or until a thermometer reads 160°.
Place a meatball on each roll. Top with sauce and remaining cheese.
Freeze option: Freeze rolls in resealable freezer bags. Freeze meatball mixture in freezer containers. To use, partially thaw in refrigerator overnight. Microwave, covered, on high in a microwave-safe dish until heated through, gently stirring and adding a little water if necessary. Place a meatball on each roll and top as directed. Yield: 15 sliders.
1 each: 248 calories, 11g fat (3g saturated fat), 55mg cholesterol, 482mg sodium, 23g carbohydrate (4g sugars, 2g fiber), 13g protein.
Reviews for Puttanesca Meatball Sliders
Reviewed Aug. 25, 2014
"where are the anchovy fillets???????????"
© 2017 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC