What a stylish idea! Celebrate a teenage girl's birthday or top off a day of Christmas shopping with this purse-shaped cake. It's easy to create—no special baking pan required.
Total TimePrep: 1-1/2 hours Bake: 30 min. + cooling
- 1 package white cake mix (regular size)
- 2 eggs
- 1-1/3 cups water
- 3/4 cup shortening
- 3/4 cup butter, softened
- 6 cups confectioners' sugar
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1-1/2 teaspoons clear vanilla extract
- Paste food coloring of your choice
- Silver dragees
- 1 piece wired ribbon (10-inches)
- 1 plastic drinking straw, cut into 3-inch pieces
- In a large bowl, combine the cake mix, eggs and water; beat on low speed for 30 seconds. Beat on medium for 2 minutes. Pour 4 cups batter into a greased and waxed paper-lined 9-in. square baking pan (discard remaining batter).
- Bake at 350° for 30-35 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pan to a wire rack to cool completely.
- For frosting, in a large bowl, beat shortening and butter until light and fluffy. Add the confectioners’ sugar, milk and vanilla; beat until smooth. Tint frosting as desired.
- Using a serrated knife, level top of cake if necessary. Using dental floss, cut cake in half diagonally by starting at a top edge and pulling floss through to opposite bottom edge. Place cakes together with wide ends at bottom, forming a triangle. Cut off top 3-in.; spread frosting between layers.
- Transfer cake to a serving platter; spread frosting over the top and sides of cake. Decorate as desired with remaining frosting and dragees. For handle, insert each end of ribbon into a drinking straw; insert each end into top of cake. Store in the refrigerator.
Originally published as Purse Cake in Country Woman Christmas 2009
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.