Pumpkin with Walnuts and Blue Cheese
Don't hold off on serving pumpkin as the dinner finale. Bring it to the forefront with this unique and lovely side dish that will garner you recipe requests.
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Bake: 25 min.
- 5 pounds pie pumpkins, seeded, peeled and cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1/4 cup olive oil, divided
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 2/3 cup chopped walnuts
- 2/3 cup crumbled blue cheese
- 20 fresh sage leaves, thinly sliced
- Preheat oven to 375°. Place pumpkin in a greased 15x1x1-in. baking pan; drizzle with 2 tablespoons oil and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Bake 30-35 minutes or until tender.
- In a large skillet, saute onions in remaining oil until tender. Add walnuts; cook 3-5 minutes longer or until toasted.
- Place pumpkin on a serving platter. Top with onion mixture. Sprinkle with blue cheese and sage.
Nutrition Facts1 serving: 154 calories, 11g fat (2g saturated fat), 6mg cholesterol, 500mg sodium, 12g carbohydrate (4g sugars, 2g fiber), 4g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 fat, 1 starch.
Originally published as Pumpkin with Walnuts and Blue Cheese in Holiday & Celebrations Cookbook 2011
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.