Pumpkin-Toffee Cake Roll
This pumpkin cake roll is a must-have for our family parties. The luscious whipped cream filling has specks of toffee and a mild rum flavor. It's so yummy. —Betty Fulks, Onia, Arkansas
Total TimePrep: 30 min. Bake: 15 min. + cooling
- 6 large eggs
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1/3 cup packed brown sugar
- 2/3 cup canned pumpkin
- 3/4 cup cake flour
- 1-1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1-1/4 teaspoons ground ginger
- 3/4 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- Confectioners' sugar
- 1 teaspoon unflavored gelatin
- 2 tablespoons dark rum
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 3 tablespoons confectioners' sugar
- 1/3 cup plus 1/2 cup toffee bits, divided
- 1/2 cup caramel sundae syrup
- Place egg whites in a large bowl; let stand at room temperature for 30 minutes. Line a greased 15x10x1-in. baking pan with waxed paper; grease the paper and set aside.
- In a large bowl, beat yolks until slightly thickened. Gradually add sugars, beating on high speed until thick. Beat in pumpkin. Sift flour, cinnamon, ginger, allspice and salt together twice; gradually add to yolk mixture and mix well.
- With clean beaters, beat egg whites until stiff peaks form. Gradually fold into batter. Spread into prepared pan.
- Bake at 350° for 15-18 minutes or until cake springs back when lightly touched. Cool for 5 minutes. Invert onto a kitchen towel dusted with confectioners' sugar. Gently peel off waxed paper. Roll up cake in the towel jelly-roll style, starting with a short side. Cool completely on a wire rack.
- For filling, in a small saucepan, sprinkle gelatin over rum; let stand for 1 minute. Heat over low heat, stirring until gelatin is completely dissolved. Remove from the heat; set aside.
- In a large bowl, beat cream until it begins to thicken. Add confectioners' sugar; beat until stiff peaks form. Fold in rum mixture and 1/3 cup toffee bits.
- Unroll cake; sprinkle with 1/4 cup toffee bits. Spread filling over cake to within 1/2 in. of edges. Roll up again. Place seam side down on a serving platter. Dust with additional confectioners' sugar. Drizzle with caramel syrup; sprinkle with remaining toffee bits. Refrigerate until serving.