Pumpkin-Toffee Cake Roll
This pumpkin cake roll is a must-have for our family parties. The luscious whipped cream filling has specks of toffee and a mild rum flavor. It's so yummy. —Betty Fulks, Onia, Arkansas
Total TimePrep: 30 min. Bake: 15 min. + cooling
- 6 large eggs
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1/3 cup packed brown sugar
- 2/3 cup canned pumpkin
- 3/4 cup cake flour
- 1-1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1-1/4 teaspoons ground ginger
- 3/4 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- Confectioners' sugar
- 1 teaspoon unflavored gelatin
- 2 tablespoons dark rum
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 3 tablespoons confectioners' sugar
- 1/3 cup plus 1/2 cup toffee bits, divided
- 1/2 cup caramel sundae syrup
- Place egg whites in a large bowl; let stand at room temperature for 30 minutes. Line a greased 15x10x1-in. baking pan with waxed paper; grease the paper and set aside.
- In a large bowl, beat yolks until slightly thickened. Gradually add sugars, beating on high speed until thick. Beat in pumpkin. Sift flour, cinnamon, ginger, allspice and salt together twice; gradually add to yolk mixture and mix well.
- With clean beaters, beat egg whites until stiff peaks form. Gradually fold into batter. Spread into prepared pan.
- Bake at 350° for 15-18 minutes or until cake springs back when lightly touched. Cool for 5 minutes. Invert onto a kitchen towel dusted with confectioners' sugar. Gently peel off waxed paper. Roll up cake in the towel jelly-roll style, starting with a short side. Cool completely on a wire rack.
- For filling, in a small saucepan, sprinkle gelatin over rum; let stand for 1 minute. Heat over low heat, stirring until gelatin is completely dissolved. Remove from the heat; set aside.
- In a large bowl, beat cream until it begins to thicken. Add confectioners' sugar; beat until stiff peaks form. Fold in rum mixture and 1/3 cup toffee bits.
- Unroll cake; sprinkle with 1/4 cup toffee bits. Spread filling over cake to within 1/2 in. of edges. Roll up again. Place seam side down on a serving platter. Dust with additional confectioners' sugar. Drizzle with caramel syrup; sprinkle with remaining toffee bits. Refrigerate until serving.
Nutrition Facts1 slice: 322 calories, 16g fat (8g saturated fat), 138mg cholesterol, 202mg sodium, 41g carbohydrate (31g sugars, 1g fiber), 5g protein.
Originally published as Pumpkin Roll Cake in Taste of Home Christmas Annual 2011
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.