- 2 packages (8 ounces each) cream cheese, softened
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1 tablespoon whole milk
- 3 cups sugar
- 1 can (15 ounces) solid-pack pumpkin
- 4 large eggs
- 1 cup canola oil
- 1 cup water
- 4 cups all-purpose flour
- 4 teaspoons pumpkin pie spice
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1-1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1 cup chopped walnuts
- 1 cup raisins
- 1/2 cup chopped dates
- OPTIONAL TOPPINGS:
- 1 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 to 3 tablespoons 2% milk
- Additional chopped walnuts
- Preheat oven to 350°. Grease and flour three 8x4-in. loaf pans. In a small bowl, beat filling ingredients until smooth.
- In a large bowl, beat sugar, pumpkin, eggs, oil and water until well blended. In another bowl, whisk flour, pie spice, soda, cinnamon, salt, baking powder, nutmeg and cloves; gradually beat into pumpkin mixture. Stir in walnuts, raisins and dates.
- Pour half of the batter into prepared pans, dividing evenly. Spoon filling over batter. Cover filling completely with remaining batter.
- Bake 65-70 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in bread portion comes out clean. Cool 10 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks to cool completely. Wrap in foil; refrigerate until serving.
- Just before serving, if desired, in a small bowl, mix confectioners’ sugar, vanilla and enough milk to reach a drizzling consistency. Drizzle over bread; sprinkle with walnuts. Yield: 3 loaves (16 slices each).
Reviews forPumpkin Swirl Bread
"Pretty good. Looking for Thanksgiving breads and pies to try on my family. This one comes close to what I'm seeking, but I don't have long to get it right. This is at the top of the list; very good in taste, moist, presentation and yummy"
"Yum! can't wait to try this!! This is another one of my favorite fall pumpkin recipes: http://www.thebestdessertrecipes.com/Recipes-for-Cookies/Unexpected-Caramel-Stuffed-Pumpkin-Cookies"
"This pumpkin swirl bread is very Moist and delicious . My family loved it."
"Taste is very good, however I used the pans recommended plus another small pan and it overflowed onto the bottom of my oven. I will experiment with larger bread pans next time, or add two more small pans. The cream cheese layer is thick and moist. Loved the added dates, nuts, and raisons. I omitted the frosting as it is sweet enough without."
"This recipe is superb. My family enjoys this year round but it is great for the holidays and my family always looks forward to it."
"This was excellent. Everyone loved it and it freezes great."
"So decadent. Prep time a bit more than the 15mins, but worth it. One of the best features is this recipe makes three loaves."
"The cloves were way too overpowering. It didn't taste like pumpkin and the cream cheese filling was too dense. It was like eating a plain block of cream cheese wrapped in tasteless nasty bread. I'm not new to baking and followed the directions exactly so I don't get the good reviews. I'm angry I wasted the ingredients and my time."