- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup plus 3 tablespoons sugar, divided
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup canned pumpkin
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 6 tablespoons butter, melted
- 6 tablespoons apricot preserves, divided
- 1 package (3 ounces) cream cheese, cut into 12 cubes
- 1/4 cup sliced almonds
- In a small bowl, combine the flour, 1/2 cup sugar, baking powder, cinnamon, salt, nutmeg and ginger. In another bowl, beat the eggs, pumpkin, sour cream, butter and 3 tablespoons preserves. Stir into the dry ingredients just until moistened.
- Fill greased or paper-lined muffin cups half full. Place a cream cheese cube and 3/4 teaspoon of preserves in each. Top with remaining batter. Sprinkle with almonds and remaining sugar. Bake at 400° for 20-25 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean. Cool for 5 minutes before removing from pan to a wire rack. Refrigerate leftovers. Yield: 1 dozen.
Reviews for Pumpkin Surprise Muffins
Sort By :
"I just made a double batch and regretted all the work. These weren't sweet at all. Pumpkin bread is a LOT sweeter. Is it supposed to be so bland?"
"I just made these and they are delicious! I didn't have apricot preserves on hand, so I made some substitutions based on other reviewers' advice. I used apple butter for the 3 TBS to be mixed into the batter. Then I used orange marmalade for the filling. I added an extra sprinkle of cinnamon (just because I love it) and I only sprinkled the tops with about 1 1/2 TBS of sugar instead of 3 TBS. I was hesitant about using apple butter and orange marmalade, but I'm so glad I tried it. You can't go wrong with this one - it's a keeper for sure!"
"Delicious!! I used my home made apricot preserves. The only change I made was that I used chopped pecans, as I didn't have almonds. They will be lovely on the brunch menu!"
"What a delicious recipe. It's fun to make too and is definitely something I shall make a lot. I doubled the recipe to make some for neighbours and could have quadrupled it they vanished so fast! The only change I will make next time is to increase the nutmeg and ginger based purely on my personal tastes as I adore both. I also used neufchatel cheese which made them a little less naughty. Thank you Elizabeth for a yummy yummy recipe."
"LOVED IT! I made this for a ladies brunch and they got rave reviews. My family would have devoured them first, had I not hidden them! The only changes I made was to mix the apricot preserves into the cream cheese, before spooning it onto the batter. I also substituted a heart-heathly oil for the butter. They were scrumptious--reminded me of a pumpkin cheesecake. Thank you for sharing, Lori!"