- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/2 cup plus 3 tablespoons sugar, divided
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup canned pumpkin
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 6 tablespoons butter, melted
- 6 tablespoons apricot preserves, divided
- 3 ounces cream cheese, cut into 12 cubes
- 1/4 cup sliced almonds
- Preheat oven to 400°. Whisk together first six ingredients and 1/2 cup sugar. In another bowl, whisk together eggs, pumpkin, sour cream, melted butter and 3 tablespoons preserves until blended. Add to flour mixture; stir just until moistened.
- Fill greased or paper-lined muffin cups half full with batter. Place a cream cheese cube and 3/4 teaspoon preserves in each muffin; cover with remaining batter. Sprinkle with almonds and remaining sugar.
- Bake until top springs back when touched, 20-25 minutes. Cool 5 minutes before removing from pan to a wire rack. Refrigerate leftovers. Yield: 1 dozen.
Reviews forPumpkin Surprise Muffins
"I just made a double batch and regretted all the work. These weren't sweet at all. Pumpkin bread is a LOT sweeter. Is it supposed to be so bland?"
"I just made these and they are delicious! I didn't have apricot preserves on hand, so I made some substitutions based on other reviewers' advice. I used apple butter for the 3 TBS to be mixed into the batter. Then I used orange marmalade for the filling. I added an extra sprinkle of cinnamon (just because I love it) and I only sprinkled the tops with about 1 1/2 TBS of sugar instead of 3 TBS. I was hesitant about using apple butter and orange marmalade, but I'm so glad I tried it. You can't go wrong with this one - it's a keeper for sure!"
"Delicious!! I used my home made apricot preserves. The only change I made was that I used chopped pecans, as I didn't have almonds. They will be lovely on the brunch menu!"
"What a delicious recipe. It's fun to make too and is definitely something I shall make a lot. I doubled the recipe to make some for neighbours and could have quadrupled it they vanished so fast! The only change I will make next time is to increase the nutmeg and ginger based purely on my personal tastes as I adore both. I also used neufchatel cheese which made them a little less naughty. Thank you Elizabeth for a yummy yummy recipe."
"LOVED IT! I made this for a ladies brunch and they got rave reviews. My family would have devoured them first, had I not hidden them! The only changes I made was to mix the apricot preserves into the cream cheese, before spooning it onto the batter. I also substituted a heart-heathly oil for the butter. They were scrumptious--reminded me of a pumpkin cheesecake. Thank you for sharing, Lori!"
"These muffins were a big hit with my boyfriend. He said they were the best pumpkin muffins he'd ever had and that they completely beat out all the pumpkin muffins they sell in the stores and coffee shops. I used apricot all-fruit for a little extra fiber and I also sprinkled the tops with brown sugar instead of regular and they came out great! Thanks for this recipe."
"Can you use pumpkin pie mix instead of plain pumpkin?"
"I did try it yesterday afternoon and it came out wonderful. I took some to my Madalyn, my grand-daughterbut she was still at school. When i tell her that it is awful she says,"Awful good."I agree with another post i read. I think it would be good to mix the cream cheese and jam together then drop it in the middle of the muffins. Ed"
"The recipe calls for 1 cup of canned pumpkin. Yummy!"
"was confused as to what size can pumpkin to use??"