Pumpkin Spice Torte Recipe
Instead of pumpkin pie, why not try this pretty dessert for Thanksgiving? The maple frosting nicely complements the pumpkin spice cake layers.
- 3/4 cup butter, softened
- 1-1/2 cups sugar
- 3 eggs
- 1-1/2 cups canned pumpkin
- 1-1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1-1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 3/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 2 packages (one 8 ounces, one 3 ounces) cream cheese, softened
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 3-1/2 cups confectioners' sugar
- 2 to 3 teaspoons maple flavoring
- 10 to 12 walnut halves, toasted
- 1. In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in eggs, pumpkin and vanilla. Combine the flour, cinnamon, baking powder, baking soda, nutmeg, salt, ginger and cloves; add to pumpkin mixture alternately with buttermilk beating well after each addition.
- 2. Pour into three greased and floured 9-in. round baking pans. Bake at 325° for 20-25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool for 5 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks to cool completely.
- 3. In a large bowl, beat cream cheese and butter until smooth. Add confectioners' sugar and enough maple flavoring to achieve spreading consistency. Place one cake layer on a serving plate; spread with 1 cup frosting. Repeat with remaining layers and frosting. Garnish with walnuts. Store in the refrigerator. Yield: 10-12 servings.
Reviews for Pumpkin Spice Torte
Reviewed Oct. 21, 2012
"Maybe I mismeasured something, I don't think I did, but this cake was very dry.The frosting was good though."
Reviewed Apr. 27, 2010
"looks real good!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"
© 2017 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC