VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 3/4 cup butter, softened
- 1-1/2 cups sugar
- 3 eggs
- 1-1/2 cups canned pumpkin
- 1-1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1-1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 3/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 2 packages (one 8 ounces, one 3 ounces) cream cheese, softened
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 3-1/2 cups confectioners' sugar
- 2 to 3 teaspoons maple flavoring
- 10 to 12 walnut halves, toasted
- In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in eggs, pumpkin and vanilla. Combine the flour, cinnamon, baking powder, baking soda, nutmeg, salt, ginger and cloves; add to pumpkin mixture alternately with buttermilk beating well after each addition.
- Pour into three greased and floured 9-in. round baking pans. Bake at 325° for 20-25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool for 5 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks to cool completely.
- In a large bowl, beat cream cheese and butter until smooth. Add confectioners' sugar and enough maple flavoring to achieve spreading consistency. Place one cake layer on a serving plate; spread with 1 cup frosting. Repeat with remaining layers and frosting. Garnish with walnuts. Store in the refrigerator. Yield: 10-12 servings.
Originally published as Pumpkin Spice Torte in Country Extra November 2006, p49
Reviews forPumpkin Spice Torte
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed Oct. 21, 2012
"Maybe I mismeasured something, I don't think I did, but this cake was very dry.The frosting was good though."
Reviewed Apr. 27, 2010
"looks real good!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"