I have loved baking all my life, but when my mom made the choice to be vegan, I had to find new recipes. This one's a keeper! —Marisa Holt, Los Angeles, California
Recommended: 50 Cozy Bakes That Begin With Canned Pumpkin
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1-1/2 cups white whole wheat flour
- 1-1/2 cups packed brown sugar
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1 can (15 ounces) solid-pack pumpkin
- 1/2 cup canola oil
- 1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1/3 cup maple syrup
- 1/3 cup water
- Preheat oven to 350°. Whisk flours, sugars, baking soda, salt and spices. In another bowl, whisk pumpkin, oil, applesauce, maple syrup and water. Add to flour mixture; stir just until moistened.
- Transfer to two 8x4-in. loaf pans coated with cooking spray. Bake until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean, 50-60 minutes.
- Cool 10 minutes before removing to wire racks to cool. Yield: 2 loaves (12 slices each).
Originally published as Pumpkin Spice Loaves in Taste of Home Christmas Annual Annual 2017, p91