Pumpkin Spice Layer Cake
I made up this recipe when my son requested pumpkin cake for Thanksgiving. It was such a hit that it's now become part of our traditional turkey day dinner!—Jeanne Cerrone, Peoria, Arizona
Total TimePrep: 35 min. Bake: 30 min. + cooling
- 1/2 cup butter-flavored shortening
- 1-1/3 cups sugar
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 can (15 ounces) solid-pack pumpkin
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1-1/2 teaspoons ground allspice
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 6 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 5 to 6 cups confectioners' sugar
- In a large bowl, cream the shortening, sugar and brown sugar until crumbly, about 2 minutes. Beat in eggs and pumpkin. Combine the flour, baking powder, allspice, cinnamon, baking soda, ginger and nutmeg. Gradually beat into pumpkin mixture; mix well.
- Spoon into two greased and floured 9-in. round baking pans. Bake at 350° for 30-35 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks to cool completely.
- In a large bowl, beat the cream cheese, butter, vanilla and salt until smooth. Gradually beat in confectioners' sugar. Spread frosting between layers and over top and sides of cake. Store in the refrigerator.