Pumpkin Sloppy Joes for 2
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 1/2 pound lean ground beef (90% lean)
- 3 tablespoons finely chopped onion
- 1/4 cup ketchup
- 2 tablespoons tomato juice
- 1/4 teaspoon chili powder
- Dash each ground cloves and nutmeg
- Dash pepper
- 2/3 cup canned pumpkin
- 2 hamburger buns, split
- In a large skillet, cook beef and onion over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain.
- Add the ketchup, tomato juice, chili powder, cloves, nutmeg and pepper. Bring to a boil. Stir in pumpkin. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 15-20 minutes to allow flavors to blend. Serve on buns.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 350 calories, 11g fat (4g saturated fat), 56mg cholesterol, 730mg sodium, 36g carbohydrate (11g sugars, 3g fiber), 27g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 3 lean meat, 2-1/2 starch.
Nov 20, 2012
This was a good change-up from regular sloppy joes. The cloves and nutmeg add a nice flavor. I added some chopped garlic, too.
Nov 8, 2012
Serve this as a chili instead of on a bun and save 100-150 calories per serving.
Sep 26, 2012
Awesome. Enough said!
Oct 16, 2011
I didn't have rolls so I called it chili and it's still really, really good.
Oct 21, 2010
Loved this recipe! The pumpkin gives a nice flavor and texture!
Oct 19, 2010
Suprisingly good! I tripled the recipe to feed 6, but left the pumpkin at 2/3 cup. I was hesitant to increase it since this was my first time making it, but I'll bump it up a bit each time I make it again. I also added a bit more chili powder to give a little more punch. My kids ate it right up and weren't mortified when I told them there was pumpkin in it (after they finished)! This one's a keeper!
Nov 23, 2008
We liked the taste and the texture. A nice change of pace from regular sloppy joes.
Oct 15, 2008
Great gluten free recipe conversion - use GF catsup and serve over mashed potatoes. We use ground turkey for even lower fat. With all the seasoning you don't miss the hamburger. We've made this two weeks in a row. It's really good.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.