- 1-3/4 cups sugar, divided
- 1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup cold butter
- 4 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 can (29 ounces) solid-pack pumpkin
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
- 2 cans (12 ounces each) evaporated milk
- Whipped cream and additional ground cinnamon, optional
- In a bowl, combine 1/4 cup sugar and flour; cut in butter until the mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Press into an ungreased 13-in. x 9-in. baking pan.
- In a bowl, combine the eggs, pumpkin, salt, spices and remaining sugar. Stir in milk. Pour over crust.
- Bake at 425° for 15 minutes. Reduce heat to 350°; bake 50-55 minutes longer or until filling is set. Cool on a wire rack. Cover and refrigerate overnight.
- Cut into squares. Top with whipped cream and sprinkle with cinnamon if desired. Yield: 15 servings.
Reviews forPumpkin Shortbread Dessert
"This is excellent! It's really just two pumpkin pies baked in one large pan. If you like pumpkin pie (my favorite!), you will enjoy the convenience of this easy dessert without the hassle of rolling out pie crust. The recipe is easily halved for an 8-inch square pan. Don't halve the amount of cinnamon, though, and the spice amounts will be exactly the same as those for one Libby's 9-inch pumpkin pie."
"I'll be making this for the first time for Thanksgiving and was wondering if it can be made ahead of time and frozen. Thanks!!"
"I’ve made this numerous times and it’s never failed to impress! It IS pumpkin pie...but with a shortbread crust which is Delicious! Highly recommend."
"Family really like this one! I love the simplicity and that this requires no graham cracker crumbs, nor a traditional pie crust. Keeps cost down. Also in the interest of cost, I made this using a recipe to make your own evaporated milk from instant dry powder, BIG mistake, there was a weird off taste- I definitely recommend using the canned evaporated milk."
"No fail. I always make this for Thanksgiving"
"I am putting this recipe in my favorites. Great time saver one dish not several pies to make. Great change of taste from usual crust. The flavor is wonderful. Thinking about topping with whipped cream and sprinkle with toffee chips"