- 2/3 cup shortening
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1/2 to 1 teaspoon grated orange zest
- 1 large egg
- 4 teaspoons 2% milk
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1-1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 4 cups confectioners' sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon grated orange zest
- 2 to 4 tablespoons orange juice
- Green and orange food coloring
- 1. In a large bowl, cream the shortening, sugar and orange zest until light and fluffy. Beat in the egg, milk and vanilla. Combine the flour, baking powder and salt; gradually add to the creamed mixture.
- 2. On a lightly floured surface, roll out to 1/4-in. thickness. Cut with 2-1/2-in. pumpkin cookie cutters dipped in flour. Place 1 in. apart on greased baking sheets. Bake at 375° for 6-8 minutes or until lightly browned. Remove to wire racks to cool.
- 3. In a small bowl, combine the butter, confectioners' sugar, vanilla, orange zest and enough orange juice to achieve spreading consistency. Remove 1/2 cup frosting; tint green. Tint remaining frosting orange. Frost cookies with orange frosting; add leaves and vines, using reserved green frosting.
1 each: 130 calories, 5g fat (2g saturated fat), 11mg cholesterol, 52mg sodium, 20g carbohydrate (14g sugars, 0 fiber), 1g protein.
Oct 25, 2014
It ended up taking more flour or the dough could not be rolled out. It was more like a sticky frosting consistency. They are not very sweet but they will suffice with all the sugar frosting.
Oct 12, 2011
Thank you so much for sharing!! My son has food allergies and I have never been able to find a cut out recipe that calls for crisco sticks and only 1 egg so I can use his egg substitute. My son LOVED them and so did the rest of the family! We cannot wait for x-mas to come and we can make cut out cookies!! Thanks a million....you put a BIG smile on a 9 year old face! :-)
Oct 12, 2011
My son has severe food allergies and I have tried MANY different cutout cookies and they all never turn out. This is the first recipe I have found that only calls for one egg so I can substitue his replacer for it, use his soy milk and they turned out perfect! It was a family hit and wonderful to see my 9 year old enjoying his first cut out cookie! Thanks a million!!!