Jazz up a classic fall veggie by serving it salad-style. Pecans lend crunch while gingerroot, cumin and cilantro bring a pleasing medley of flavors. —June Gaden, Adelaide, Australia
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Bake: 35 min. + chilling
- 1-3/4 cups cubed peeled pie pumpkin
- 2 teaspoons canola oil
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons sunflower kernels
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped pecans
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh cilantro
- 2 tablespoons chopped red onion
- 1/2 cup plain yogurt
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon grated fresh gingerroot
- Place pumpkin cubes on a baking sheet. Brush with oil; sprinkle with salt. Bake at 375° for 35-40 minutes or until tender. Cool completely.
- In a large bowl, combine the sunflower kernels, pecans, cilantro, onion and pumpkin. In a small bowl, combine the yogurt, cumin and ginger. Pour over pumpkin mixture; toss to coat. Cover and refrigerate until chilled.
Nutrition Facts3/4 cup: 212 calories, 16g fat (2g saturated fat), 4mg cholesterol, 376mg sodium, 14g carbohydrate (6g sugars, 3g fiber), 7g protein.
Every product is independently selected by our editors. If you buy something through our links, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Originally published as Spicy Pumpkin Salad in Cooking for 2 Fall 2008