Jazz up a classic fall veggie by serving it salad-style. Pecans lend crunch while gingerroot, cumin and cilantro bring a pleasing medley of flavors. —June Gaden, Adelaide, Australia
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Bake: 35 min. + chilling
- 1-3/4 cups cubed peeled pie pumpkin
- 2 teaspoons canola oil
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons sunflower kernels
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped pecans
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh cilantro
- 2 tablespoons chopped red onion
- 1/2 cup plain yogurt
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon grated fresh gingerroot
- Place pumpkin cubes on a baking sheet. Brush with oil; sprinkle with salt. Bake at 375° for 35-40 minutes or until tender. Cool completely.
- In a large bowl, combine the sunflower kernels, pecans, cilantro, onion and pumpkin. In a small bowl, combine the yogurt, cumin and ginger. Pour over pumpkin mixture; toss to coat. Cover and refrigerate until chilled.
Nutrition Facts3/4 cup: 212 calories, 16g fat (2g saturated fat), 4mg cholesterol, 376mg sodium, 14g carbohydrate (6g sugars, 3g fiber), 7g protein.
Originally published as Spicy Pumpkin Salad in Cooking for 2 Fall 2008
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.