Pumpkin Pie Cannoli
I love to play around with different fillings in homemade cannoli. I've used pumpkin pie pudding (when it's in season at the store) in this recipe, but you can also make it with canned pumpkin and vanilla pudding. —Barbara Carlucci, Orange Park, Florida
Total TimePrep: 30 min. Cook: 5 min./batch
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 egg, separated
- 1/4 cup white wine
- 2 teaspoons canola oil
- Oil for deep-fat frying
- 1 carton (15 ounces) ricotta cheese
- 3/4 cup canned pumpkin
- 1 package (3.4 ounces) instant vanilla pudding mix
- 1/3 cup 2% milk
- 3/4 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
- 1/4 cup miniature semisweet chocolate chips
- 1/4 cup chopped hazelnuts
- Confectioners' sugar, optional
- In a small bowl, combine the flour, sugar and salt. Stir in the egg yolk, wine and canola oil. Turn onto a floured surface; knead until smooth. Divide dough into 12 portions; roll each into a 4-in. circle (dough will be very thin). Curl around a metal cannoli tube to shape. Moisten edges with egg white; press to seal.
- In an electric skillet or deep fryer, heat oil to 375°. Fry cannoli shells, a few at a time, until golden brown on all sides. Drain on paper towels.
- For filling, in a small bowl, combine the ricotta, pumpkin, pudding mix, milk and pie spice. Stir in chocolate chips.
- Spoon or pipe filling into shells. Dip each side in hazelnuts. Sprinkle with confectioners' sugar if desired. Serve immediately.